The case of the missing GPO setting

Recently I had to develop the group policy for implementing the DISA STIG for Windows 2008 R2 on our network. Everything was going great until I hit the following item:

Group ID:V-16001
Group Title:TS/RDS – Printer Redirection
Rule ID:SV-32508r1_rule
Severity:Cat 3
Rule Version:5.078
Rule Title:The system will be configured to allow only the default client printer to be redirected in the Remote Desktop session. (Remote Desktop Services Role)
Vulnerability Discussion: This check verifies that the system is configured to allow only the default client printer to be redirected in the Remote Desktop session.
Responsibility:System Administrator
IA Controls:ECSC-1
Check Content:”If the following registry value doesn’t exist or is not configured as specified, this is a finding: Registry Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Subkey: \Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\   Value Name:  RedirectOnlyDefaultClientPrinter   Type: REG_DWORD   Value: 1″
Fix Text:Configure the policy value for Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Printer Redirection “Redirect only the default client printer” to “Enabled”.
Source:Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller Security Technical Implementation Guide, 26 Oct 2012

The setting wasn’t showing up in the group policy editor. Turns out that particular setting is only available to you when editing the policy from a SERVER. My Win7 machine would not display that setting.

Copyright info

Error 1723 removing JDK 6u27

Ran into a puzzler this morning when I was trying to implement a change ticket for removing the Java JDK version 6u27 from a server. The error was:

Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

jdk-remove-error

I tried to install the JDK again figuring that the problem would be resolved by that action. Instead I got the same error. After searching for a few minutes (Google failed me) I tried a different approach.

I went to a server that had the specific JDK version installed and simply copied the Files from the folder on that server to the folder on the afflicted server. Once that finished I tried the uninstall again – Success! the uninstall completed successfully.

I’m unsure of exactly what DLL was missing but it was something inside that folder.

HTH.

Copyright info